Monday, September 24, 2007

Job Frustrations

I really enjoy my job...working with film crews from everywhere and planning park events is fun and always has interesting challenges. I've been in the Events department for almost 4 years as a Coordinator, and since March I've been in a temporary role as a Manager in the department. Now there is a full-time Manager position available, since the guy I've been backfilling is not coming back. Obviously, I would like the position.
But my boss told me yesterday that I'm not getting it. His justification is totally ridiculous and pisses me off. He said that he wants someone that's more like the guy that's leaving, who is super focused on our cast and developing people. Granted, he is great at that and made some good "magic" speeches to our cast members. But it sort of helps to have a friggin' idea of what you're doing in your actual job. Anyone can be sappy and magical and all that crap, but I have the experience to succeed in the job. It's so political and stupid.
So at the end of October I will go back to being a Coordinator, and start trying to get out as soon as possible! I am in the Attractions Management 'pool', so any area in any park that needs managers will interview from those of us in the 'pool'. So I will hope for something to happen from that quickly. I need to work for a leader that will actually support me.
Although, I got sucked into a repeat of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition yesterday, and they were helping a family that has 2 HIV positive kids. They go to this camp for kids infected or affected by HIV/AIDS, and I found myself really wanting to be involved. I guess I just feel like my job doesn't really have a great purpose...I want to feel like I'm contributing more than I am. Maybe it's just a rough patch, but I have definitely been browsing through monster to see what kind of meaningful jobs are out there!

1 comment:

Mike said...

i know how you feel. i go through that every few months, of wanting to do something meaningful. about 1.5 years ago, i almost quit my computer job to be a firefighter. Wanted to do something meaningful. The pay just wasnt there though...kinda sad. I sold out. Oh well. now Leah and Erin get to be spoiled, but not have a hero as a dad. c'est la vie.

cant wait to see you in a week!!